800 S. Pacific Coast Highway
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Seasoned International Management Consultant, Educator and Human Resource Manager, with over 20 years of progressive experience in Training, Organization Development, Career Development, Employment, Education, International Business, and Interpersonal Communications. Pragmatic, people-oriented leader who is results-driven. Seek challenging consulting assignments or leadership position with organization dedicated to employee development and involvement.
Principal of Training Education Management LLC, a consulting firm providing custom training, human performance, organizational development, career development and human resource management solutions. Clients include: ASTD, Toyota, Nissan, Rockwell International, Glendale Memorial Hospital, Southern California Presbyterian Homes, Orange County Transportation Authority, Sempra Energy, Malaysian Institute of Training and Development, Egyptian Banking Institute, Samsung, Employers Group, Workforce Investment Board, Southern California Edison, ANSI, among others.
Director of the Professional Development Center at Antioch University Los Angeles from 2007-2009. Oversaw business and management continuing education programs and headed a trainer certification project for LA Department of Water and Power.
Training Design Manager (1993-97)
Southern California Gas Company
Los Angeles, CA
· Responsible for 10-person training design function. Acting Training and Development Manager. Consulted with managers on human resources issues.
· Achievements: Reorganized training department using process improvement and reengineering. Implemented new evaluation systems. Developed CBT labs. Developed solutions to close employee skill gap. Implemented new labor agreement affecting 5000 employees.
Manager, Human Resource Development (1989-93)
Magnavox Electronics Corp.
· Responsible for training and development, employment, employee relations, organizational development, employee communications, safety, quality circles and technical library functions. Chaired Quality Circles Executive Committee and Company Educational Affairs Committee. Served on Executive Quality Improvement, and Safety steering committees.
· Achievements: Designed and implemented human resource and organizational development interventions. Taught management and executive development, sales, IBM PC, communications, train the trainer, safety and quality courses. Boosted factory productivity 45% with better trained employees.
Allied-Signal Aerospace Company (1987-89)
AiResearch Los Angeles Division, Torrance, CA
· Responsible for PC computer lab serving 1000 users. Designed and taught training classes in computers, manufacturing, management and train the trainer. Consulted with managers on human resource issues.
· Achievements: Boosted office productivity 50% by creating first formal computer training. Improved training by evaluating its effectiveness.
Texas Instruments, Inc., Irvine, CA (1981-84)
· Responsible for coordinating, designing and conducting sales and technical training courses for new employees and customers.
· Achievements: Increased computer sales. Boosted company’s image at conventions, trade shows and in TV and radio advertising.
Egyptian Central Bank, Cairo, Egypt (2007-08)
Institute of Training and Development, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2004-2006)
Inlingua, San Jose, Costa Rica (2001-2002)
University of International Economics and Trade, Beijing,China (1984-85)
Beijing Institute of Foreign Languages, Beijing, China (1979-80)
Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand (1980-81)
· Responsible for conducting research studies in education and politics. Taught courses in English, education, history, political science and business. Traveled in 15 foreign nations.
· Achievements: Taught over 4000 students. Published two books and over 30 articles. Learned Chinese Mandarin, Spanish and Thai. Presented at ASTD, AERA and Academy of Management National Conventions.
Ph.D.: UCLA, Education (Curriculum)
M.A. : UCLA, East Asian History
B.A. : UCLA, History and English (Magna Cum Laude)
Junior College Teaching Certificate, California (Business, Computer Technology and History)
Secondary Teaching Certificate, California (English and Social Studies)
American Society for Training and Development, American Academy of Management, American Educational Research Association, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, ARTDO (Asian Regional Training & Development Organization – Board Member) California State Taskforce on Workplace Learning, International Society for Performance Improvement, Literacy Network of Greater Los Angeles (Ex-Chair), National Management Association, Organizational Development Network, Society for Human Resource Management, Society for Technical Communication, Literacy@Work Los Angeles, UCLA Alumni Association, Redondo Beach Economic Development Council, Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce.
Bottom-Line Training: Performance-based Results. (TEM LLC, 2005).
Bottom-Line Training: How to Design and Implement Programs That Boost Profits. (Butterworth Heinemann, 1999).
In Action: Designing Training Programs. Editor. (ASTD, 1996).
The Twain Shall Meet: The Current Study of English in China. (McFarland, 1988).
ASTD Handbook of Measuring and Evaluating Training. Patricia Phillips, Editor. “Planning Your Evaluation Project.” (ASTD, 2010)
“Three Rs in the Workplace,” in In Action: Measuring Return on Investment, Vol. One. Jack Phillips, Editor (ASTD, 1994).
“Benchmarking Training,” Training and Development Yearbook. (Prentice-Hall, 1993).
“Evaluating Human Performance Improvement,” Performance Improvement. (January 2005).
“Benchmarking HRD,” Training and Development. (July 1993).
“Toward a More Literate Workforce,” Training and Development. (November 1992).
“The Magnavox Experience: Workplace Literacy Works,” Training and Development. (November 1992).
“Management Perceptions of the Benefits of Computer Training,” HRD Quarterly (June 1990).
“A Software Menu for the Training Department,” Training. (February 12, 1989).
“Whither China’s Democracy Movement?” Christian Science Monitor. (August 1, 1989).
“China Odyssey: One Family’s 30 Year Journey Under Mao,” Christian Science Monitor. (November 15, 1981).
“What Ails L.A. Schools?” Los Angeles Times. (October 1, 1979).
“Making Ends Meet Tough for Garment Workers,” Los Angeles Times. (February 14, 1978).
“Home Respiratory Care Options,” Home Health Care. (April 1984).
“Computers Automate Patient Recordkeeping,” Hospital Information Management. (November 1983).
“Security System Protects Corporate Assets,” Corporate Information News. (May 1978).
20 other articles.